Kentucky Unbridled Spirit logo


Transfer Students - Make a plan

Pick a school

This is your search and your future. You can compare Kentucky colleges based on criteria most important to you.

Many Kentucky colleges offer opportunities to help make transfer easier. These include:

  • Transfer contacts – a specific person on campus designated to help students transfer.
  • Transfer centers – sponsor transfer events, arrange visits by college representatives and can assist with every aspect of your transfer plan.
  • Transfer agreements – agreements between KCTCS and universities that guarantee courses within a specific major will transfer. Transfer agreements may be available for students with an associate in arts, associate in science or associate in applied science degree.
  • Completer degrees – allow a student with an associate degree in any area to finish a bachelor’s degree in a general area of study within a similar time frame.
  • Joint admission/joint enrollment programs – allow students to be admitted to a KCTCS college and a university at the same time and enroll in courses that could count toward both an associate and bachelor’s degree.
  • Online degree programs – give students the opportunity to earn their bachelor’s degree online at their convenience.

Attend transfer fairs

Most KCTCS colleges have transfer fairs for students interested in transfer. You can explore your options by talking with representatives of multiple schools.

One good way of meeting with many representatives is attending the annual Transfer Madness Fair. This is an online transfer fair where students can talk virtually with representatives from every public college and university and most of the private colleges and universities in the state.

Explore financial aid options

Most colleges and universities offer scholarships or reduced tuition agreements specifically for transfer students. These are usually competitive scholarships with minimum GPA and credit hour requirements.

Many other types of aid may also be available to help you pay for college, including:

  • Grants
  • Scholarships
  • Work-study programs
  • Conversion scholarships/loans
  • Waivers
  • Military benefits
  • National service award
  • Prepaid tuition
  • Student loans

For more information on each of these types of financial aid, visit the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority website. The financial aid office at your transfer school can determine if you qualify for institutional aid not included in the list above. Even your degree program may have scholarships available, so be sure to ask your transfer contact or adviser about possible opportunities.

Learn about and visit the campus

Once you find the universities that meet your criteria, visit websites or attend an open house or campus tour. Make an appointment with someone in the department of your intended major to ask about admission requirements and financial aid opportunities.

Seek advice

Make an appointment with the academic adviser at your current school to find out your possibilities based on the courses you’ve taken. Also, you’ll want to meet with your transfer contact to help you identify your new school’s expectations. You can also view course equivalencies and some degree pathways on KnowHow2Transfer.

Before your appointment with your adviser, get prepared.