Kentucky Transfer Students - Transfer timeline checklist
STEP 1 - Pick a major
- Meet with an academic adviser or check with student services to learn about your campus resources related to career counseling.
- Explore the Web and the library for career and major information.
- Take career assessment tests to determine your interests.
- Identify majors related to your field of interest.
- Declare a major by submitting the appropriate official forms to your registrar's office.
- Meet with a transfer contact and/or an academic adviser in your major at your current school to make sure you are taking appropriate courses to transfer.
- Visit the transfer contact on your campus to begin your planning now.
STEP 2 - Make a plan
- Attend transfer fairs and open houses, or arrange for a campus tour at schools you are interested in attending; be sure to schedule a visit to the department of your major.
- Obtain transfer guides and admission information from schools you are interested in attending.
- Meet with college admissions representatives at any schools you are interested in attending.
- Identify the deadline for applying for graduation, and write it on your calendar.
- Make your final decision about your transfer school.
- Use KnowHow2Transfer to preview how your credits will transfer.
- Meet with an adviser to review the transfer of your credits and ask if there are any transfers agreements available in your major.
- Research financial aid options at your transfer school; contact the financial aid office to see if your current aid will transfer.
- Find out if your transfer school accepts other types of credit, such as military training or professional experience.
STEP 3 - Make your move
- Submit applications for admission, including degree program admission and housing applications.
- Request official transcripts (from current and previously attended schools) be sent to your transfer school.
- Obtain any transcripts for other types of credit, if accepted by your transfer school.
- Submit your FAFSA form and indicate your transfer school on the form; If already submitted, update your form to include your transfer school.
- Consult with the transfer school's financial aid office to transfer any financial aid you already receive and submit any institutional financial aid forms.
- Apply for a transfer scholarship at your transfer school (if applicable).
- Complete all necessary paperwork to apply for graduation from your current school.
- Finalize residence hall or other housing arrangements.
- Arrange to have your final transcript sent to your transfer college.
- Take any necessary placement exams or proficiency tests at your transfer college.
- Register for classes and attend transfer or new student orientation at your transfer college.